The Peace Arch is a monument situated near the western most point of the mainland Canada–United States border, between the communities of Blaine, Washington and White Rock and Surrey, British Columbia.
The Peace Arch, which stands 20.5 metres (67 ft) tall, was built by Sam Hill and dedicated in September 1921, and commemorates the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in 1814. The monument is built on the exact United States–Canada boundary, between Interstate 5 and Highway 99, in the grass median between the northbound and southbound lanes.
The Peace Arch has the flags of the U.S. and Canada mounted on its crown, and two inscriptions on both sides of its frieze. The inscription on the U.S. side of the Peace Arch reads "Children of a common mother", and the words on the Canadian side read "Brethren dwelling together in unity". Within the arch, each side has an iron gate mounted on either side of the border with an inscription above reading "May these gates never be closed".
Peace Arch Park consists of Peace Arch Provincial Park on the Canadian side and Peace Arch State Park on the American side of the border. Within the park is a major border crossing (between Interstate 5 on the U.S. side and British Columbia Highway 99 on the Canadian side). The Peace Arch symbolizes a long history of peace between the two nations. Because of the Peace Arch monument, the border crossing between Surrey and Blaine is popularly known as the "Peace Arch Border Crossing". In Canada, the crossing is officially named Douglas in honour of Sir James Douglas, the first governor of the Colony of British Columbia. It is one of the busiest border crossings between Canada and the United States, and the busiest such crossing west of Detroit.
The monument and surrounding park is considered an international park. As such, visitors do not require either a passport or visa to pass through their applicable border crossing so long as they stay within the boundaries of the park.